Bryan Schumann is an award winning composer & singer/songwriter based in St. Paul, MN. An eclectic composer, Bryan embraces an immense spectrum of genres and styles while writing songs and creating music and sound design for video games, film, meditation, and the concert hall.
Awards & Commissions
2016 – Three-time Event Gold Medalist and Overall Silver Medalist for Composer Quest and American Composers Forum (ACF) 2016 Composer Olympics.
2013 – Commission from Annika Spargo & the Bel Air & Valentine Hills Middle School String Orchestras: String Theory for Electric Guitar & String Orchestra.
2013 – Winner of the 18th Annual Eric Stokes Song Contest.
2011 – Winner of the 2011 Zeitgeist / ACF Call for Scores Competition.
2010 – Commission from Doug Diamond & the Augsburg Symphony Orchestra: Bird Toy for Orchestra.
2009 – Commission from Dr. Robert Stacke & the Augsburg Concert Band: Finding Nostalgia for Concert Band.
2009 – American Composers Forum Subito grant recipient
List of Works
Until the Light: Twelve Works for Solo Piano – (April 2018)
Duration: 33:13 minutes
Sheet music, CD, and online audio release: April 27, 2018.
Stardust for Solo Piano – (August 2017)
Duration: 2:22 minutes
Online sheet music & audio release: Aug 11, 2017.
The Star-Spangled Banner: A Variation on the US National Anthem for Solo Piano – (September 2016)
Duration: 2:22 minutes
Online sheet music & audio release: Sept 4, 2016.
A Guitar Quartet of Sorts – (August 2016)
Instrumentation: Classical, Acoustic, Electric, and Bass Guitar
Movement I released 01/23/16 as Week 3 of “A Thing A Week 2016”
Movement II released 05/15/16 as Week 19 of “A Thing A Week 2016”
Movement III released 07/10/16 as Week 27 of “A Thing A Week 2016”
Online sheet music & audio release: Aug 7, 2016.
Weather Patterns for Trumpet & Piano – (April 2016)
Duration: 8 min
Premiere: April 12, 2016 by Kate DeVoe & Bryan Schumann at Studio Z in St. Paul.
Soundscape for Solo Piano – (January 2016)
Duration: 5:30 minutes
Premiere: Jan 12, 2016 by Bryan Schumann at Studio Z in St. Paul, MN.
String Theory for Electric Guitar & String Orchestra – (May 2013)
Commissioned by Annika Spargo and the Bel Air & Valentine Hills Middle School String Orchestras.
Duration: 3:35 minutes
Premiered May 23rd, 2013 by Bel Air & Valentine Hills String Orchestras. Also performed on June 1st, 2017 by the Mounds View Middle School String Orchestra.
Loop Phase for Electric Guitar w/ FX pedals & looper – (Nov 2012)
Duration: 8 to 15 minutes (expandable form)
Premiere: Nov. 20th, 2012 by Bryan Schumann
Subtle Points of Disconnect for Chamber Ensemble – (May 2012)
Instrumentation: Two electric guitars, piano, & pre-recorded street sounds
Duration: 3:47 minutes
Online audio release: May 10, 2012 by Bryan Schumann
Sonata for Guitar & Bass – (May 2011)
Duration: 16 minutes
Premiered: May 22nd, 2011 by Bryan Schumann & Bjorn Villesvik
Fireworks in Outer Space for Chamber Ensemble – (March 2011)
Written for Zeitgeist, a new-music ensemble.
Instrumentation:Violin, Bb Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Piano, & Percussion
Winner of the 2011 Zeitgeist / ACF Call for Scores Competition
Duration: 6:15 minutes
Premiere: March 22nd, 2011 by Zeitgeist at Studio Z
Hochzeit for Brass Quintet – (June 2010)
Duration: 25 Minutes
Premiere: June 26th, 2010 by the Aurora Brass Quintet
Bird Toy for Orchestra – (April 2010)
Commissioned by the Augsburg Symphony Orchestra.
Duration: 6:10 minutes
Premiered April 17th, 2010 by the Augsburg Symphony Orchestra. Also performed on Feb. 16th, 2014 by the St. Paul Civic Symphony.
Finding Nostalgia for Concert Band – (May 2009)
Commissioned by the Augsburg Concert Band.
Duration: 3:15 minutes
Premiere: May 1st, 2009 by the Augsburg Concert Band.
For Mom: A Chaconne for Brass Quintet – (April 2009)
Duration: 5 minutes
Read and Recorded by the Aurora Brass Quintet: July 9th, 2009
For Mom: A Chaconne for Solo Piano – (Dec 2008)
Duration: 5 minutes
Premiere: December 25th, 2008
Shouts & Echoes for Baritone Voice & Piano – (Dec 2007)
Duration: 2:20 minutes
Premiere: December 6th, 2007
Riffs on a Serial Line for Guitar Trio – (Dec 2007)
Duration: 3 minutes
Premiere: December 6th, 2007
Augsburg Sonata for Trumpet & Piano – (Dec 2007)
Duration: 16 minutes
Premiere: December 6th, 2007
The Darkness The Light – 15-minute guided meditation with narration by Charlotte Rose (2018).
Venerable Wholeness Spa Experience – 90 minutes of meditative drones & piano for spa treatment. Created in collaboration with The Venerable Women Foundation and Caring Hands Massage & Spa (2018)
Meditation for Light – 15-min guided meditation for self-worth and joy. Created in collaboration with The Venerable Women Foundation (2017)
Venerable Life Portrait Meditation – 15-min guided meditation for manifestation. Created in collaboration with The Venerable Women Foundation (2017)
Multilateral Melt – Original score (2019)
Spacing Out – Original score & sound design (2018)
Crosswired – Original score & sound design (2018)
Critters Inc – Original score & sound design (2017)
Circuit Breakers – Original score & sound design (2017)
Super Sumo Ball – Original score, sound design, & voice acting (2017)
Winter Still – Programmer, original score, & sound design (2016)
Bitter Plants – Original score (2016)
zenworld – Original score & sound design (2016)
Tiki Torcher – Original score & sound design (2016)
1-800-CatLineBling – Original score (2016)
Gamepak Girl – Original score & sound design (2015)
Dark Moon Gauntlet – Original score & sound design (2015)
The Bomb From Planet X – Original score & sound design (2015)
Minneapolis Mayhem – Original score & sound design (2015)
VRidDL – Original score & sound design (2015)
The Tragedy of the International Brigades – Original Score (2018)
The Morning Routine – Original Score (2007)
Mechanisms as Life – Original Score (2007)
Cold Cases: An Eerie Epic Intro
30-sec mystery TV show intro music (2018)
Newsroom Cue: Breaking News (Orchestral)
10-sec orchestral hybrid news alert music (2018)
1-min of quirky, polka music (2017)
1-min of eerie, EDM, chip-tune hybrid music (2017)
1-min of quirky, chip-tune music (2017)
12-mins of acoustic, feel-good, down-home music (2017)
5-mins of dark, industrial, orchestral hybrid music (2017)
I Want Candy
3-mins of fun, chill, child-like pop/classical music (2015)
Performances of Bryan’s works by others:
- Screening of “The Darkness The Light” a pre-recorded guided meditation by Bryan Schumann and Charlotte “Mama” Rose at Healing Elements in St. Paul, MN on 10/19/18.
- The Tragedy of the International Brigades was premiered by the MNKINO Orchestra under the direction of Yuri Ivan as part of the 2018 MNKINO Film Score Fest at the Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul, MN on 07/28/18.
- String Theory for Electric Guitar & String Orchestra was premiered by the Bel Air & Valentine Hills Middle School String Orchestras with Bryan Schumann on guitar and led by Annika Spargo on 05/23/13. It was performed again on 06/01/17 by the Mounds View Middle School String Orchestra & Annika Spargo.
- Bird Toy for Orchestra was premiered by the Augsburg Symphony Orchestra on 04/17/10, under the direction of Douglas Diamond. It has also been performed by the Saint Paul Civic Symphony on 02/16/14 at Mt. Zion Temple under the direction of Jeffrey Stirling.
- Fireworks in Outer Space was premiered by Zeitgeist on 03/22/11 at Studio Z in Saint Paul.
- Finding Nostalgia for Concert Band was premiered by the Augsburg Concert Band on 05/01/09, and was performed internationally on the 2009 tour of Romania, under the direction of Dr. Robert Stacke.
Performances by Bryan on piano, guitars, trumpet, &/or vocals (solo & with other ensembles):
Bryan Schumann (solo):
- 09/16/18 performance on piano & electric guitar for one-hour-long guided meditation session at TC VegFest 2018 featuring Freeman Wicklund of the Boundless Love Project and Dawn Morningstar of Venerable Women.
- 03/23/18 performance on piano & electric guitar for one-hour-long Yoga Live Session at Urban Growler in St. Paul, MN.
- 12/07/16 premiere of Seasons & Elements for solo piano at Trotter’s Café in St. Paul, MN.
- 04/12/16 premiere of Weather Patterns for trumpet & piano at Studio Z St. Paul, MN with Kate DeVoe Schumann on trumpet.
- 01/12/16 premiere of Soundscape for solo piano at Studio Z; 11/20/15 premier of Loop Phase for Electric Guitar at Studio Z in St. Paul, MN.
- Performance of Nothing Avenue with Zeitgeist at the “Playing it Close to Home” concert series (Feb 22nd, 23rd, & 24th, 2013) at Studio Z & Roseville High School as the winner of the 18th Annual Eric Stokes Song Contest.
Bryan Schumann & The Sunshapes: (singer/songwriter &/or with band):
- 11/05/18 at Tin Whisker Brewing’s Songwriter Showcase in St. Paul, MN.
- 10/27/18 at Healing Elements’ Kava Kava Lounge Series in St. Paul, MN.
- 09/16/18 at TC VegFest 2018 at Harriet Island Park in St. Paul, MN.
- 03/10/18 at PNA Hall in NE MPLS, MN for the CAA Vegan Chili Cook-Off.
- 09/09/17 at Como Regional Park St. Paul, MN; 05/07/17 at Chicken Run Rescue, MN.
- 11/13/15 at Gamer’s Rhapsody Video Game Convention in Bloomington, MN.
- 09/06/14 at Boom Island Park MPLS, Walk for Farm Animals.
- 08/29/09 at The Hat Truck Lounge in St. Paul, MN.
- 08/15/09 at Cheapo Records (Uptown); 07/24/09 at Cheapo Records (Snelling).
- 06/13/09 at Ginkgo Coffee House in St. Paul, MN.
Eclectic Ensemble: (electro-improv troupe):
- 10/03/15 at Bent Brewstillery, St. Paul; 09/12/15 at Franconia
- 07/20/15 at Sandbox Theater in MPLS; 07/12/15 at Open Streets MPLS; 05/06/14 at Honey in MPLS.
- 01/15/14 Live on KFAI.
EE LumiNite Series: (Nighttime bicycle powered improv/lightshow/parade):
- 07/29/17, 10/14/15, 10/09/15, 10/08/15, 10/01/15, & 08/24/15 LumiNite on the MPLS Greenway.
EE Music of the Sun: (Solar powered electro-improv):
- 06/22/13 at Indeed Brewing Co.
- 09/22/12 at Franconia Sculpture Park.
- 08/13/12 at Boom Island Park.
- 05/16/12 at Jackson Sq. Park in NE MPLS.
Velvet Sol: (Rock/Blues/Pop):
- 12/19/13 at Gasthof’s in MPLS, MN.
- 11/29/13 at Pepito’s Parkway Theater in MPLS, MN.
- 11/02/13 at Pickle Park in MPLS, MN.
- 09/28/13 at Fine Line in MPLS, MN.
- 09/22/13 at Pickle Park in MPLS, MN.
- 08/27/13 at State Fair Leinie Lodge Bandshell in St. Paul, MN.
- 08/25/13 at Mill City Nights in MPLS, MN.
- 08/23/13 at Pickle Park in MPLS, MN; MN.
- 07/27/13 at Fine Line in MPLS, MN.
- 07/13/13 at Pickle Park in MPLS, MN.
- 06/28/13 at Wild Times in MPLS, MN.
- 06/22/13 at Whisky Junction in MPLS, MN.
Sound Wave Hello: (free improv troupe):
- 10/26/12 at Photography @ The Center in NE Minneapolis (3-hour ambient improv set).
- 10/16/12 at Studio Z (electro-acoustic free improvisation set at with special guest Mike McGee on “The Board”).
- 11/15/11 at Studio Z (free improvisation set).
Boreal Bard Music – Publisher & Record Label
The Solar Studio – Founder & Sound Engineer
American Composers Forum – Member
ASCAP – Member
Bands & Collaborations
Bryan Schumann & The Sunshapes – Songwriter & Performer (2008 – )
Sound Wave Hello – Free Improvisation (2011 – )
The Eclectic Ensemble – Electro-acoustic Improv Troupe (2012 – )
Velvet Sol – Rock Band (2013 – 2014)
The Art Heist – Rock Band (2004 – 2006)
Mindfill – Rock Band (2000 – 2004)
Not sure where to go next?
First, you can click here to hear my music!
Next, visit my blog, Those Who Make Sound, to learn more about my creative process and get the inside scoop on works in progress. I post and share new music regularly, so check back often.
Lastly, be sure to reach out on the contact page if you’d like to license any of my music, book recording time at The Solar Studio, or hire me create original music for your project. Whether you’re making a video game, film, podcast, or just want a personal theme song…hit me up and let’s collaborate. Also, if you are a performer and plan to perform any of my music, please let me know about your performances. I’d love to hear from you!